Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Post 3 of New "Old" Things - State Posters!

This was a project I did WAY back over a year ago for my 4th Grade class at the time, and all the subsequent classes I'd teach this unit to over the coming years. I have a teacher book from a company called "The Mailbox"; it's a USA regions unit. For almost the past 10 years or so, I've taught this unit to my students right after our testing is finished.

When I made these posters, I used the original maps from the book to determine how many states would fit on the posters. This is a really great way for the students to learn all 50 states and their capital cities.

This year, I've had quite a few of the teachers borrow the posters for use in their classrooms too!

Just two things:
1. I did put in all the commas BEFORE I laminated the posters!! AND, on the side without the capitals, I drew in all the major bodies of water so they could see where the lakes and rivers were located.
2. I don't know where my pictures of the NE states has gone... Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island... I'll have to get a picture and add it to the set! I know I have it - it was posted in my classroom for the beginning of the unit!














Follow this link to the coloring chart I used to make sure none of the states that touched each other were the same color. It works every time!!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ *~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
A Proud member of The Lime Light. Click on over to see what we are doing.

No comments: